Recipe of the Month – Buckwheat Pancakes
Buckwheat is a light, dry, gluten free grain that is high in Magnesium and contains 8 essential amino acids. It is also high in Rutin (a phyto-chemical) that helps strengthen the capillaries and blood vessels, so this makes Buckwheat very healing to the cardiovascular system. It also contains Quercitin (an anti-oxidant) that is wonderful for decreasing excess fluid retention, phlegm and congestion in the body.
- 1 cup of Buckwheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp each of cinnamon and cardamom powder
- Whisk flour, water, salt and spices together to make a smooth batter
- Heat a small amount of ghee in a small pan and ladle enough batter to form a medium size pancake
- When the top of the pancakes begins to bubble and dry out a little, flip the pancake to cook the other side
- Cook till golden brown
- These pancakes go well with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey and tahini.
These pancakes are great for decreasing Kapha so ideal for a warming winter breakfast.