Recipe of the Month – Oat Porridge
This months recipe is for Oat Porridge. Oats are one of the best foods to lower cholesterol naturally to improve heart health. Oats contains soluble fibre, which reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the “bad, cholesterol.
- 1-2 tsp of Ghee
- 1/2 cup of Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup of Boiling water
- 1 cup of Milk (un-homogenised/ organic/ biodynamic) or Milk alternative (rice/ oat/ nut milk)
- 1-2 tsp of Jaggery or Rapadura Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Rasins or chopped Medjool dates
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of one or each of Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves
- Optional; Grind the oats into a fine powder in a spice/ coffee grinder. It best to grind oats daily rather than buying already refined oats as they can go rancid and loose nutrients in storage. Grinding the oats makes the cooking process much quicker.
- Dry roast oats in a pot over medium heat for 1- 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add ghee and combine with oats till coated. Stir slowly over low-medium heat for a few minutes more, then add water carefully. Stir well, add milk and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil then lower heat and keep stirring for 3-5 minutes while it cooks.